In order to enjoy these tiles for many coming years, please read this guide carefully and pay special attention to the following:
Cement tiles are all handmade, using traditional methods and natural ingredients. Therefore small deviations in pattern, thickness and colour shades are inherent of the production and considered to be normal. Exactly these small imperfections give the tiles their main charasteristic.
- Please take care to inspect your tiles after recieving them within 72 hours of recieving them, as afterwards we will not be able to accept claims.
- When laying, blend the tiles from different boxes, eliminating the small nuances and differences in the colour shades, wich is a result of the hand-made production process and hand-mixed pigments.
- Do not allow the boxes to get wet. Moisture can cause stains and efflorescence.
- During the works we do recommend to protect the already laid tiles with breathable permafix cover until all works are done. Try to leave the installation as a last step of your project.
- Make sure that the surface is completley dry and levelled even, apply padlopon if necessary.
- Use a standard flexible tile adhesive / glue and a trowel with recesses of 8. Butter spread the surface and the back of the tiles evenly.
- Make sure to apply the adhesive evenly, eliminating any airbubbles in the spread, those may cause breaking and cracks later.
- Remove all excess of adhesive and dirt immediaetly from the surface of the tiles.
- Level the tiles with hands only, adjust neighbouring tiles manually, never use a hammer or any hard object.
- For cutting use a water-cooled tile saw with diamond edge disc.
- Use 2 mm tile spacers.
- Allow 24 hrs for drying before starting the impregnation
- Cement tiles are sold without any sealing, they has to be impregnated after laying at the site.
- Use only our Marrakesh Cement Tile impregation material.
- We do recommend the impregnation to be done after laying but before the grouting.
- IMPORTANT: before applying the impregnation liquid, make sure that the surface of the tiles is completley clean and dry!
- Use a dry, clean teddy-roll with a tray, and do not make circulating wiping moves while applying the impregnating liquid.
- Test the material on a single tile before applying it to the whole surface.
- If the tiles will be laid on walls, the should be impregnated on a flat surface prior the installation.
- Keep applying the liquid until it stays unabsorbed (so the tiles are „filled up”), wipe off the surplus. Normally 2 rounds should be enough.
- Test the efficiency of the sealing by dropping water on the surface: if it is not absorbed, but stays on, like raindrops on a watercoat, that means that the tiles are sealed.
- As above, we do recommend the grouting after the tiles has been impregnated already.
- Use flexible grouting (joint filler) waterproof products. Try to choose glue and joint filler from the same producer.
- We recommend a neutral grey / offwhite colours (like Mapei Manhattan), never use black or very dark colours, as they contain pigments that will damage cement tiles.
- Do not use expoxi grout, as to remove excesss you need aggresive cleaner agents, wich will damage the tiles as well.
- Grout a small (1-2 m2) area at one time, work in an area of arm’s reach only and wipe of the excess immediaetly.
- Allow the grout for drying 12 hrs.
- After the grouting, impregnate the tiles one more time.
- We do recommend a final waxing, as it will give an extra protection, enchance colours and makes the surface silky smooth.
- For landing area, backsplash and kitchen wall it is especially recomended.
- Only already impregnated tiles should be waxed.
- Use a white cloth and apply the wax evenly, with rotating moves, similar to carpolishing.
- Allow 24 hrs for complete drying.
- Use only pH neutral acid free cleaners: soapy water Domestos, Cif.
- Our Marrakesh Cementlap Cleaner is an effective detergent, contact us for details.
- Do not use acidic cleaners, like limescale removers.
- Remove limescale mechanically with brushing the surface evre other year.
- Remove all acidic materials from the surface quickly: red wine, soda water, coffee, mustard, lemon- and orange juice, Coke, and the like.
- Cement tiles are very durable and can lasts for many decades. They withstand the mechanical wears and tears of daily life, and develop a nice patina over the years. Still, sharp and heavy objects may cause cracks, try to avoid them as much as possible.
- We recommend to refresh the impregnation every 3-4 years.
Any issues, question, do not hesitate to contact us, we are here to help:
Phone +36 20 9 734 344